Saturday, June 2, 2007

We're Halfway There...

"Your thoughts will soon be wandering, the way they always do
When your riding sixteen hours and there's nothing much to do
And you don't feel much like riding, you just wish the trip was through"

Since I’m too exhausted to write anything coherent, intelligent, or philosophical about my trip thus far, I’ve decided to pass off Bob Seger’s ruminations from "Turn the Page" as my own. Ten hours of driving and six states later, I’ve arrived here in Kingsport, Tennessee just to eat an inexpensive carry-out dinner from a local Italian family restaurant, get a few hours of sleep, and wake up early just to embark on yet another ten-hour voyage.


Two observations and a question:
  • Arby’s. There are a lot of them and especially in Tennessee. In fact, my hotel room has an excellent view of an Arby’s pick up window.
  • Trade-in shows: The best thing to pass the time is to surf the AM stations in Appalachia. If you're really lucky, you'll come across these fantastic radio shows where someone calls in with a dense southern accent looking to “trade my old Maytag washing machine for a pair of Michelin XE-9348A tires” or something like that. Hey, it’s far more entertaining than listening to Christian radio.
  • Do people actually visit those ridiculous tourist traps advertised on billboards? I saw one today that informed me of “Magical Caverns” that lied only twenty miles off interstate. What does that even mean?

And I'm off to Jackson...

6 comments:

Sarah O. said...

I love Arby's! Hope you make it there safely!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it there...let us know if any long lost relatives turn up in Jackson

Anonymous said...

Did the cashier say "y'all come back now, y'hear"???

John Giscala said...

I don't know about magical caverns, but beware of local men with mullets and Skynyrd tatoos selling "fairy dust"

Sarah O. said...

Let you dad know that people actually say "y'all come back now, y'hear" in the South. They are common parting words. Someone at work told me that I was going to have to tone down the "y'all" while in NYC. I still maintain that is is a convenient contraction.

And yes, NYC is great. I can see why people fall in love with it.

Mix said...

Update your blog.